Monday, August 09, 2010

Covers & Classics vol. 1
Looking At The Front Door













And I can play some ole stuck-up rapper role
And get foul every time you lose control
But that's not my order of operations
So I should win an award for lots of patience
'Cause that's all a fella can have
With a girl who's shootin' up his world like Shaft
And I don't think that I can take it anymore
I'm lookin' at the front door
Lyrics

we fight every night, now that's not kosher
I reminisce with bliss, before Eshkoshkah
We was closer, later on you was supposed ta
be the one that I stayed with but it seemed that you played tricks
Every day it get worse, than the day before
Maybe you're, actin too, immature
Insecure, plus I'm lookin for the cure
Keep flippin like you do I'm lookin at the door




In 1990, a few months before the release of the seminal classic Breaking Atoms, The Main Source released perhaps the first 'emo rap'. No Atmosphere, over here, but this song about struggling with his chick helped establish the Large Professor, and the rest of Main Source. In fact, "Looking at the Front Door" hit No.1 on the Hip Hop charts.
About 8 years later, the hip hop duo Heltah Skeltah, would release there sophomore effort Magnum Force. Track 6 is this obvious homage to the Main Source classic. Sean Price goes for dolo on this one, and rips a heartfelt classic with out getting too mushy.

I guess thats the true strength of the original as well. You can clearly hear and feel the pain and heartache being expressed, but at the same time you don't feel like you are listen to some whiny bitch moping in you ear.

No comments: